The fall season is by far my favorite time of year. The air is so crisp and cool, you can almost feel that change is around the corner. I feel so inspired by the gorgeous colors. The markets are full of colorful autumnal produce. This is the time of year that I am at my most creative in the kitchen. I find myself craving warm, hearty meals. I love to match my flavors to the weather so I always lean towards sweet and savory flavor combinations. This next recipe epitomizes fall. Slow cooked pork with apples, tubers and red kuri squash. I used a lean pork roast to keep the fat content to a minimum. I seasoned the roast with warm, savory spices and added just a pinch of cinnamon to help bring out a smoky flavor. The pork was stuffed with apples, craisins and onion which kept the meat juicy while adding a slight hint of sweetness. I surrounded the roast with hearty chunks of yam and sweet potato. Finally, I covered the roast with sliced red kuri squash. Placing the squash on top of the roast allows the squash to steam to a perfect consistency. If the squash is placed below the meat, the juices typically cause the squash to become too soggy. The roast cooks on low for an 8 hour cycle. By the end, the house is filled with the most delicious aroma and you have a full, hearty meal for the entire family. Yum!
- 2-3lb Lean Pork roast
- Red Kuri Squash (may substitute another winter squash)
- 1 medium to large yam
- 1 medium to large sweet potato
- ½ yellow onion
- 1-2 apples of choice
- 1/4th cup of craisins
- 2 TBS Cumin
- 1 TBS Tumeric
- 1 TBS Coriander
- 2 TSP Salt
- 1 Pinch of cinnamon
- Wash the yam and sweet potato. Cut into large chunks and set aside.
- Remove the core of the apple and cut into medium chunks. Cut the ½ onion into similarly sized chunks. Combine the apple, onion and craisins in a bowl and set aside.
- Using a sharp chef knife, slice the red kuri squash in half and remove the seeds. Cut each half into quarters.
- Combine the spices.
- Rinse the pork roast under cool water and pat dry. Generously coat the roast with the spice blend. Place the roast in the slow cooker.
- Create two lengthwise pockets in the roast by using a sharp chef knife cut two slits. Make sure to not cut all the way through the roast.
- Fill the pockets with the apple, onion, craisin mixture.
- Surround the roast with the chunks of sweet potato and yam and cover it with the red kuri squash.
- Cook on low for an 8 hour cycle.
- Note: To serve the red kuri squash, remove the flesh from the skin and gently mash. It is delicious when served with margarine.
Yield: ~ 6 Servings
Serving Size: 2 Slices of pork (1/3rd lb), ½ cup tubers, 1 cup red kuri squash
- Calories: 331 cal
- Protein: 12.4 grams
- Fat: 7.2 grams
- Carbs: 55 grams
- Fiber: 9.3 grams