This pasta sauce recipe was a pleasant surprise! I was messing around with my first attempt at a cashew cream and decided to throw in some sauteed tomatoes, onion and garlic. Voila! An absolutely delicious and creamy tomato sauce that is dairy free and vegan! I am thankful that I don't have a dairy intolerance but who knows when I'll have guests over that do. This sauce is so incredibly versatile! I paired this it with baked salmon, spinach and whole wheat pasta. Yum!
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1 cup of water
- 1 - (14.5oz) can of stewed tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium sized yellow onion, chopped
- 1 TSP dried oregano
- 1/2 TSP dried basil
- 1/4 TSP red pepper flakes (Add more if you prefer a spicier sauce)
- 1 TBS olive oil
- Place the cashews in a blender with 1 cup of water. Puree the mixture for approximately 1 minute or until the mixture forms a thick cream as seen below.
- Place a medium sized sauce pan over high heat with the 1 TBS of olive oil. When the olive oil is hot, add the onion and garlic and saute until just lightly browned. Add the 1 can of stewed tomatoes and the spices. Turn the heat down to medium. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the tomato mixture in the blender with the cashew cream. Puree for approximately 1 minute. The mixture should form a creamy, rose colored sauce.
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Total Calories: 77 cal
- 2 grams of protein
- 5 grams of fat
- 6 grams of carbohydrate
- 1 grams of fiber