This next recipe is in honor of Mother’s Day. My mom is without a doubt my biggest inspiration when it comes to cooking. Even with being a full time working mom, she always managed to have a healthy meal ready to go for her family. I mean EVERY meal. So when Mother’s Day comes around, I feel that the least I can do for her is cook a meal!
My mom and I LOVE salty foods. When my dad was working late, she and I would indulge in a big, cheesy pizza! We would eat our pizza and mumble in between mouthfuls, “Okay, this is the last slice.” Inevitably we would finish the pizza and suffer the morning bloat the day after. I remember pizza nights with mom fondly… the morning bloat… not so fondly. SO… for mother’s day I wanted to create a recipe that I know my mom would love! A delicious, guilt-free, pizza. This brings me to my next recipe, Apple Turkey Bacon Pizza… it’s a dish that needs little introduction. Sweet, salty, mouthwatering and definitely bloat-free! I’ve made little substitutions to make this a healthier dish such as using a whole grain naan bread as the crust, low-fat mozzarella cheese and turkey bacon. Naan bread makes for a delicious crust and makes this a super quick recipe with a definite “wow” factor.
I am sad to say that this year Boris and I were unable to make it home to Colorado for Mother’s Day. So, do me a favor and make this for your mama! I love you mommy! Happy Mother’s Day!!!
*Makes 1 Naan Pizza
- Whole grain Naan bread
- ¼ cup low fat mozzarella
- 2 slices of turkey bacon
- ½ of a Pear
- ½ of an Apple
- ¼ cup of Baby Arugula
- 2TBS of Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice the pear by first cutting of the end. Lay the pear down on the flat end and slice into thin slices (as shown below).
- Soak the slices in the balsamic vinegar.
- In a pan cook the turkey bacon over high heat, until slightly crispy. Dice the turkey bacon.
- Dice the apple and set aside.
- Lay the soaked pear slices evenly over the naan crust. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and turkey bacon.
- Place on the rack in the oven. No pan is needed. This allows the crust to become crispy. Allow to cook for 2 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. To remove from the rack, use a large metal spatula.
- Sprinkle the diced apple and arugula over the pizza just prior to serving.
Serving Size: ½ pizza
- Calories: 309 cal
- Protein: 10 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbs: 44 grams
- Fiber: 14 grams