This isn't your standard American meatloaf... it's so much better! It's satisfying but not too heavy, easy to prepare, and delicious! Make weekday dinners simple by preparing it at the beginning of the week.
I feel like you either love or hate meatloaf. I was lucky to grow up with my dad who makes the BEST meatloaf, hands down. So meatloaf has always felt like a comfort food to me. But it's also pretty easy to make a blah loaf of meat which has probably contributed to the dislike of many a meatloaf hater. THIS recipe is not blah and while it isn't my dad's recipe, it is still pretty phenomenal. It may just convert you into a meatloaf lover. (I really wish there was a better name for meatloaf though... if you think of one let me know!)
Often times meatloaf can feel like a heavy dish - making it hard to eat day after day. We meal prep on Sundays so a meatloaf can last us all week which is why I use chicken and turkey rather than using a heavier meat like beef. I've added fresh spinach for color, texture and, of course, nutrition. Feta gives the meatloaf extra flavor and moisture (because not even a meatloaf lover likes a dry meatloaf). Finally, I use an Italian spice blend to give this dish a deep savory flavor which classic meatloaf recipes may lack.
- 1lb lean ground turkey
- ½ lb ground chicken
- 3 cups loosely packed cups of baby spinach
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- ½ - 6 oz can of unsalted tomato paste + additional for topping
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup rolled oats (may add more if the mixture is too wet)
- 1.5 TBS basil
- 1.5 TBS oregano
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 TSP Salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine everything but the red pepper flakes in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
3. Grease a loaf pan with pam or oil.
4. Pack the mixture into the pan. May cover the top of the loaf with a light layer of tomato paste. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
Yield: 10-12 slices
1 Serving (based on 12 slices)
- Calories: 131 cal
- Protein: 14g
- Fat: 5g
- Carbs: 8g
- Fiber: 1.5g