I have been craving sweets like crazy and these pumpkin pie bars really hit the spot! Pumpkin is one of my favorite fall foods simply for its rich flavor and its dense nutrient content. So turning it into dessert seems like a logical conclusion to me! I decided to play around with some different flours in this recipe and I finally settled on garbanzo bean flour. It's higher in protein, higher in fiber and lower in carbs than all-purpose flour and, of course, it's gluten-free. Garbanzo bean flour is perfect for this recipe! The bar has a tender consistency without being crumbly. It's honestly just like pumpkin pie, without the crust. You won't even notice the garbanzo! What you will notice is the delightful sweetness of the dark chocolate and the nutty flavor of the walnuts. It's the perfect fall time treat. These are definitely making it to the Thanksgiving table this year!
- 2 eggs (substitute flax eggs for vegan option)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 - 15oz Canned Pumpkin
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp + 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (choose dairy free for vegan option)
- 9-inch square baking pan (If you don't have one, check here for alternative pan sizes.
- Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If your coconut oil is solid, melt in the microwave for ~20-30 seconds or until liquid consistency. Set aside and allow to cool.
- With either a whisk or kitchen aid, beat the egg and sugar together for ~3 minutes or until thick and creamy. If using a kitchen aid, set it to medium-high speed.
- Mix in the pumpkin, vanilla and coconut oil until smooth.
- Combine the garbanzo bean flour, allspice, and cinnamon.
- Whisk in the garbanzo bean flour mixture into your wet ingredients, 1/2 cup at a time, until well combined.
- Using a spatula, fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Lightly oil the baking ban. Place batter in the pan. Use a spatula to level the top so its smooth and even.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Ff you insert a toothpick or knife it should come out clean. Allow to cool, cut into 12-16 squares, and enjoy!
Yield: 16 bars
Serving: 1 bar
- Calories: 185cal
- Protein: 5g
- Fat: 12g
- Carbs: 16g
- Fiber: 4g